Good in the middle, too!
Oh you guys! I'm getting so excited about 2019!!!
This is why: Because it's been a really fun 2018, and I am just deciding to carry on with more fun next year, too. WHY NOT.
I've started doing my planning for the year, using a really lightweight and very enjoyable process, because planning and goals should be Good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good at the end*, not just when you hit the target.
* This by the way is a solid principle by which you can evaluate any undertaking. Does it promise to be good at the end, even if it sucks in the beginning and especially the long or messy middle? Lies. Do not fall for that.
Struggling struggling struggling, failing to have fun, finally hitting the goalpost? THAT IS NEVER SATISFYING. Struggling just leads to more struggle.
I propose when thinking about the future, we follow that rule and insist on fun in the beginning, enjoyment in the middle and celebration at the end.
Thus, next week I will have ready for you a planning process you can download and use to review your 2018 and plan your 2019. Like everything I offer, it's flexible, lightweight and simple. It will be completely affordable.
And every single moment you spend on it should be delightful and ultimately useful.
Here's an example of one of my fun goals for 2019:
Yep! It's COOKBOOKS. I've chosen 12 books, one for each month of the year. The goal is to pick one at the beginning of the month, and make one full menu from it every week. Actually, it's a multi-goal:
1. Revive Sunday lunch. If I cook it, I bet they will come.
2. LEARN. I never want to not be learning. It's what I came here for!
3. Support and promote women, including women of color.
4. Save room for dessert.
5. Make my cookbook habit start paying me back.
I am so excited! I hope you will join me.
Image: Olifant op boek (schets), Leo Gestel, c. 1935 - before 1936, Rijksmuseum. Used with permission